Mon, 6 February 2012
Rumors are that Apple is planning on incorporating support for the new faster 802.11ac Wi-Fi specification into products this year. In this podcast we discuss the 802.11ac and other wireless specs.
We discuss the following questions:
- So, what’s the deal with this 802.11ac?
- These 802 dot whatever standards - where do they come from?
- So this 802.11ac is considered non-finalized. what does that mean?
- I seem to get interference from things like wireless home phones. I know spectrum is involved.
- So if I set my access point to run at 5GHz, will all my devices work? What do i need to understand to make it work?
- What about range? You mentioned range limitations at 5 GHz.
- Are there any ways to extend the range? I’ve heard about something called MIMO.
- You mentioned 802.11a which is pretty old. Is the use of 5 GHz new?
- When will we see 802.11ac products on the market?
- What kinds of products from Apple? What are people saying?
- What do you mean when you say potentially for the mobile devices?
Along with the Superbowl!